- Create angles as a basis of offense.
- Control the distance and keep your opponent in front of you to increase your defense.
- Redirect the energy of your opponent to minimize their ability to attack you.
- Understand and apply the principles of leverage to increase your effectiveness.
- Focus on the fundamentals (hip mobility, submission concepts and execution, etc) early.
This is not the first time that Andrew Smith has thought about what he would do differently if he was a white belt. I was able to find a short interview he did on that topic. Read it and see if it helps you improve your own training methods.